1st World Championship Hot Wing Contest and Festival
Memphis, TN / Tiger Lane / Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium
Hot Wing Capital of the World
Saturday, August 29, 2020
MANDATORY RULES AND REGULATIONS
Hot Wing Defined – A Hot Wing is defined as any piece of the wing, drummie or flat or a full wing: drummie, flat and flap, cooked, flavored and seasoned.
- boneless wings are also accepted
- The wings for contest entry may not be pre-cooked, sauced or maintained in any way prior to inspection at the beginning of the cooking contest. Use of anything pre-cooked, pre-sauced, pre-marinated, and/or pre-brined shall result in disqualification. The meat inspection will be at 9:00 a.m. the day of the event. Again please do not start cooking or seasoning your wings until the meat inspection is complete. Please see Judging rules for further information.
- Each contestant shall supply all of their meat, cooking ingredients, individual cooking devices (Propane or charcoal) utensils, preparation tables, etc.
- The only thing provided to contestants by the World Championship Hot Wing Contest and Festival is a regulation cooking area.
- There is a MANDATORY COOKS MEETING that will be held at Neil’s Bar on 5727 Quince Road, Memphis, TN 38119 on Monday, August 24, 2020 6:30 p.m. A representative for your cooking team must be present at this meeting.
- Each contestant may have as many assistants as necessary. Any cook or assistant that handles food in any way MUST be at the Mandatory Cooks Meeting (see above-4).
- Each contestant must comply with all applicable rules and regulations of the Memphis and Shelby County Health Department including, but not limited to the following:
a. Meat must be at 35°or less before cooking. Coolers with plenty of ice will keep it cold enough.
b. There will be a team judging meeting at 10:00 a.m. at the Judging Tent (located in center grassy area – we will supply a map of the event layout).
c. After cooking at a temperature of 140° until submitted to the judges at 1:00 p.m. the day of the event – please see Judging Rules for more detailed information.
d. The first judging will be at 1:00 p.m. for the all teams competing. The top 30 teams will be notified by the Judging Committee. The second round of judging will be at 4:00 p.m. for the top 30 teams. The winners will be announced at 6:00 p.m. on the main stage.
CLARIFICATION: If product is turned in and is disqualified, it receives a one (1) in all criteria. If the teams does not turn in a product or is disqualified and not allowed to turn in, that team’s category is not judged and receives no score.
e. Cleanliness of the cook, assistants, and contestant’s area is required.
f. No live animals are allowed in the cooking area. This is grounds for disqualification.
g. Each team MUST have hand cleaning capabilities. Soap and water or waterless hand cleaner is acceptable.
- Setup will take place between 7:00 – 9:00 a.m. on August 29, 2020. The World Championship Hot Wing Contest and Festival will open to the public at 11:00 a.m. The streets will not, and must not,
have any vehicles present at this time in order to keep our pedestrians safe.
- Vehicles will be allowed to “load-in” in the cooking area during the designated loading times which will be provided by the event staff and coordinators in the Mandatory Cooks Meeting.
- Vehicles will NOT be allowed back in the cooking areas after the contest for “load-out” until the last band has finished performing and there are not a lot of pedestrians still on the street. The
area will be blocked off by security until then.
- Live entertainment will be taking place curing the festival from 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- No live bands, or combos, etc., will be allowed in the individual cooking areas at any time during the event.
- Restrooms will be available in designated areas.
- Children may not be left unattended or unsupervised to roam the festival or its outlying areas.
- Trash bags will be provided by each contestant. A dumpster for trash will be on-site (south of Court on the riverside down on the cobblestones). Contestants will be responsible for cleaning
up their area after the contest. Trash MUST be placed in the dumpster, not next to it. The new booth fees include a $50.00 increase to cover clean-up.
- Teams must discard used oil from their cookers at the designated receptacles that will be provided at the event.
- The World Championship Hot Wing Contest and Festival reserves the right to reject any application. If your team’s application is not accepted, your fees be will refunded. No refunds of entry fees will be made once you have been accepted into the contest whether your team participates or not.
- Space is guaranteed for the first 60 paid applications accepted by World Championship Hot Wing Contest and Festival Committee.
- It is the responsibility of each team to see that the contest area is cleaned and all equipment removed from the site following the contest. If there is unnecessary garbage or the area is left in a horrible mess the team may be disqualified from any future “World Championship Hot Wing Contest and Festival.
- The team’s captain will be held responsible for the conduct of his team and his guests. Under NO circumstances are alcoholic beverages to be distributed (given or sold) to the general public by the teams or its contestants. The World Championship Hot Wing Contest and Festival
Committee requests and requires that good taste be used with team conduct during the contest.
- Team areas will be assigned closest to the stage by the order of receipt of paid entry.
- TEAM BOOTHS MAY NOT BLOCK THE SIDWALKS IN ANY WAY. This area is designated for all emergency, fire, police and ambulance personnel.
- Each team should provide their own bucket of sand for cigarette butt disposal within their individual team area.
- Violations of rules and regulations of the contest will result in disqualification, expulsion, and or disqualification from future participation in the festival.
- Read and keep these rules of the World Championship Hot Wing Contest and Festival. If there are any questions or concerns immediately contact The World Championship Hot Wing Contest and Festival for clarification.
- NO throwing baseballs, NO drones, NO concealed weapons of any kind
- You may have footballs, soccer balls and frisbees
- NO glass containers, only plastic and aluminum allowed inside the festival area, or in personal cooking areas.
- The World Championship Hot Wing Contest and Festival will not be responsible for tents or other
equipment left unattended before, during, or after the contest.
- All teams must adhere to all electrical, fire and other codes, by the city, county, state and federal codes. Each team must have a fire extinguisher of a 2A, 40bc rating. Please check and make sure
they are charged. All tarps must be fire retardant with certification stating s o. The World Championship Hot Wing Contest and Festival can provide electrical power for your certain areas that will be designated on the park layout. Contestants may not sell food.
- The World Championship Hot Wing Contest and Festival reserves the right to make additional regulations as the situations warrant. Decisions of The World Championship Hot Wing Contest
and Festival Committee and KCBS Judges are FINAL.
- Any questions regarding these rules and guidelines or judging rules should be addressed immediately to The World Championship Hot Wing Contest and Festival Committee.
CAUSES FOR DISQUALIFICATION AND/OR EVICTION
- A cook team is responsible jointly and severally for its head cook, its team members and its guests.
- Excessive use of alcoholic beverages or public intoxication with a disturbance.
- Use of illegal controlled substances.
- Foul, abusive or unacceptable language or any language causing a disturbance.
- Excessive noise, including but not limited to that generated from speakers, such as radios, CD players, TV’s, public address systems or amplifying equipment, will not be allowed during
designated quiet hours (if applicable).
- Fighting and/or disorderly conduct
- Theft, dishonesty, cheating, use of prohibited meats, or any act involving moral turpitude
- Violation of any of the KCBS Cook’s Rules
- Excessive or continued complaints from teams on any of the above rule infractions shall be considered grounds for immediate disqualification from the contest by KCBS Representatives, Organizers and/or Security. In addition, any violation of the above rules shall be reported the
KCBS Board of Directors who may in addition to the above disqualification impose additional penalties upon the team, the head cook, and its members including but not limited to
disqualification from competing in KCBS events for a period of time not to exceed five years.