The city of Memphis will feel the heat once again this spring as the annual World Championship Hot Wing Contest & Festival (WCHWCF®) fills Memphis with the tantalizing aroma of the infamous hot wing.
For the annual WCHWCF there will be approximately 100 team spaces which will be guaranteed on a first-come, first served basis. Extensions or announcements for additional space may be allowed at the discretion of management, but cannot be guaranteed.
Rules & Regulations
Hot wing defined – a hot wing is defined as any piece of the wing, drummie or flat or a full wing: drummie, flat and flap, cooked, flavored and seasoned.
- The wings for contest entry may not be pre-cooked, sauced, or maintained in any way prior to inspection at the beginning of the cooking contest. Use of anything pre-cooked, pre-sauced, pre-marinated, and/or pre-brined shall result in disqualification. The meat inspection will be at 9:00 a.m. on the day of the event. Again please do not start cooking or seasoning your wings until the meat inspection is complete. Please see below the judging rules for further information.
- Each contestant shall supply all of their meat, cooking ingredients, individual cooking devices (propane or charcoal) utensils, preparation tables, etc.
- The only thing provided to contestants by the world championship hot wing contest & festival and is a regulation cooking area.
- There is a mandatory cooks meeting that will be held at Neil’s Bar on Quince Ave 57527 Quince Road Memphis, TN 38119, Monday, April 8, 2021 at 6:30 p.m. a representative for your cooking team must be present at this meeting.
- Each contestant may have as many assistants as necessary. Any cook or assistant that handles food in any way must be at the mandatory cooks meeting (see above no.4).
6. Each contestant must comply with all applicable rules and regulations of the Memphis and Shelby County Health Department including, but not limited to the following:
a. Meat must be at 35°or less before cooking. Coolers with plenty of ice will keep it cold enough.
There will be a team judging meeting at 10:00 a.m. at the Judging Tent.
b. After cooking at a temperature of 140° until submitted to the judges at 1:00 p.m. the day of the event – please see below the Judging Rules for more detailed information.
c. The first judging will be at 1:00 p.m. for the 65 teams competing. The top 36 teams will be notified by the Judging Committee. The second round of judging will be at 4:00 p.m. for the top 36 teams. The winners will be announced at 6:00 p.m. on the main stage.
CLARIFICATION: If the product is turned in and is disqualified, it receives a one (1) in all criteria. If the teams do not turn in a product or are disqualified and not allowed to turn it in, that team’s category is not judged and receives no score.
d. Cleanliness of the cook, assistants, and contestant’s area is required.
e. No live animals are allowed in the cooking area.
f. Each team MUST have hand cleaning capabilities. Soap and water or waterless hand cleaner are acceptable.
7. Setup will take place beginning at 7:00 am on April 23 through 9:00 am April 24, 2021. The World Championship Hot Wing Festival & Contest will open to the public at 11:00 a.m. The streets must not have any vehicles present at this time in order to keep our pedestrians safe.
25. NO DRONES ALLOWED.
26. No glass containers, only plastic and aluminum allowed inside the festival area, or in personal cooking areas.
CAUSES FOR DISQUALI-fICATION AND/OR EVICTION
Cooking team FAQs
Most frequent questions and answers
Yes fryers are allowed and we will provide grease traps to properly dispose of cooking oil.
In accordance to contest regulation #1, wings may not be brined, marinated or prepped in any way prior to inspection the day of the event.
Any and all such prep must be done during the event and prior to judging turn-in. Check the schedule of events for official turn-in time(s). Check the rules & regulations for the schedule of events. Once your team loads in, gets settled, and passes preliminary inspection by event staff and/or judges you will be free to begin any prep work for your competitive wing entry batch.
Yes, depending on the size of space each team will receive event passes. Additional team members will have to acquire their own admission tickets either in advance or at the gate in order to participate.
We only provide the regulation cooking space and option to rent a private port-o-let.
Teams are required to bring with them all items; chairs, tents, tables, furniture, and necessary cooking apparatus which they may need/require while participating at our event. And remember … “all you really need is a grill” – Henry Hot Wing.
Teams generally cook about 2 cases of wings for public sampling so we ask each team to bring about 80LBS of wings for cooking during the event.
If you happen to run out of wings during the course of the event, we will have additional wings on reserve which can be provided to your team as needed should you run out of your initial batch.
Unfortunately, the option for a private port-o-let is only available for booth sizes of 10×20 and higher due to space requirements and health department codes which prohibit such facilities in the vicinity of any cooking area’s which vend or serve to the general public.
There is no explicitly set limit on the number of folks that you can have on your wing team.
Some of our teams put a lot of effort into creative T-shirts for their team, and while we place no limits on your team’s creativity. We do ask (per contest regulation / Team Rule #36) that you refrain from incorporating, wearing, or prominently displaying any reserved terms such as “Staff” or “Security” as these are explicitly reserved for our various production team, volunteers and/or third party contractors.
You may pay your application fees either online or by check (through mail). You will be presented with online payment options at the end of your application.
All teams must satisfy the application fee requirement in order to participate in our competition.
If you are experiencing any issues submitting your application, please contact us for assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org.